Headaches can be incredibly debilitating and quite painful for those who frequently suffer from them. There are many types of headaches, but the most common include tension, cluster, and migraines. Some people are more prone to headaches due to genetic predisposition or as a side effect of certain medications. However, other causes include dehydration, neck or back pain, poor sleep, alcohol, and stress.
Whatever the reason, let’s review five ways to relieve or reduce headaches in the comfort of your own home.
• Water seems to be the go-to remedy for many medical issues. Water can relieve headaches reasonably quickly, especially if it is a tension, dehydration or exertion headache.
• Before reaching for Ibuprofen or Aleve, first, try reaching for a bottle of water to see if this can reverse your headache.
• During a headache or migraine, studies have shown that magnesium levels are low. When magnesium is low, the blood vessels in the brain constrict, which induces a headache.
• If you are prone to headaches, consider taking a magnesium supplement or increase magnesium-rich foods, such as avocados, nuts, legumes, and bananas.
• Depending on what works best for you, try either a hot compress or an ice pack on the back of your neck to help relieve headaches.
• Ice will aid in diminishing the pain by providing a numbing effect while heat will relax muscle tension which will reduce the pain.
• Lack of sleep or poor sleep will lead to fatigue which can trigger headaches.
• To ward off unwanted headaches, try to aim for 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.
• Caffeine can significantly reduce headaches, but it can also be the start of an addictive cycle leading your body to depend on caffeine to keep headaches away or at bay.
• It can instead cause headaches if it is used too frequently for relief.
• While caffeine is in many migraines medications due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is crucial to try other remedies before going straight to a cup of coffee or soda to try and relieve your headache.
If you continue to have frequent headaches with no relief, it is vital to be evaluated by a physician. Frequent headaches can indicate an underlying issue. To speak with a doctor today, visit Shifa4U or call us at 042-111-748-748.