Summertime is quickly approaching, so it is time to review a few basic summer rules to keep your skin healthy and sunburn free without missing out on exciting opportunities. Hopefully, these guidelines will instill a safe, skin-conscious mindset that will enable you to take full advantage of the summer fun and sun.
• This rule is the golden standard during the hot summer months and is encouraged by dermatologists year around.
• Anytime you are out in the sun, you should be aware that there is a risk of sun exposure. Many do not know that even when it is cloudy out, you are still at risk for sunburn and skin damage.
• It is recommended to replace your sunscreen every year, as they do expire and will not provide the same coverage.
• Try to use a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 30 and reapply every two hours throughout the day. For babies and toddler or those with sensitive skin, aim for a sunscreen with an SPF of 50 or higher.
• As much as possible, aim to stay in the shade.
• Utilize a beach or pool umbrella or stay under a pavilion while outdoors. However, when staying in the shade is not possible, consider wearing a broad-brimmed hat to provide coverage for your face and shoulders.
• During the summer months, try going to the beach or pool during the morning hours.
• The sun is hottest in the afternoon, so to avoid the intense UV rays, stay inside during the early to mid-afternoon hours.
• Certain medications can increase your risk of sunburn and sun damage, and it is essential to be aware of what medications you are taking and the side effects they may have.
• For more information on your medications and if they increase sun sensitivity, speak with your pharmacist.
• Regular skin checks are encouraged throughout the year but should be performed more frequently during the summer months.
• Use the acronym ABCDE when checking your moles and other skin lesions.
• Asymmetry- Are the sides of your mole unequal?
• Border- Are the sides uneven?
• Color-Is it two different colors?
• Diameter- Is the mole smaller than a pencil eraser?
• Evolving- Is the mole rapidly changing over time?
Shifa4U is here to help you find a dermatologist near you to kick off your summer season with a skin check to provide you with peace of mind. Or call us on health helpline 042-111-748-748 or whatsapp us: 03247443248