The digestive system plays a large roll in whole body wellness. Without a healthy gut, it will be hard pressed to stay in good health and ward off unwanted illness because the gut houses 70% of your immune system. So, it is of vital importance to take care of it so it can take care of you.
Let’s discuss five ways to keep your digestive system balanced and operating at its optimal level.
• Good bacteria within your digestive tract is of vital importance to keep the harmful bacteria levels low.
• Medications, poor diet, and antibiotics can quickly destroy the good bacteria in your gut. By killing off good bacteria, harmful bacteria begin to flourish which increases the incidence of illness.
• By taking probiotics, good bacteria is being put back into the gut which keeps the gut flora, also known as microorganisms, healthy and thriving.
• If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of taking another medication then try to increase fermented foods, such as yogurt, kombucha or sauerkraut.
• Eating fruits and vegetables are always encouraged but do you know how much of them you should be eating daily.
• It is recommended by the USDA to eat 9-13 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. This standard encourages you to fill half of your plate with vegetables at each meal or snack.
• Proper nutrition is the foundation for preventing many chronic medical conditions, and it is the cornerstone of maintaining a balanced digestive system.
• Fiber assists the digestive system by absorbing water to bulk and soften stool which regulates bowel function.
• Foods high in fiber are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, nuts, and seeds.
• The amount of water that you should consume widely varies depending on age, weight, medical conditions, and physical activity level. Water, while having many health benefits, has been shown to reduce constipation.
• The golden rule is to drink 8 ounces of water eight times a day. This rule is an excellent standard to live by, but some people might need more or less water, so listen to your body.
• When your body is telling you that it is thirty, instead of reaching for your favorite drink like tea, lemonade, soda or coffee, reach for a bottle of water. This practice will help you attain your daily water goal.
• Instead of eating from sun up till sundown, try giving your stomach a break and allow it to recover from a constant process of food digestion.
• Set an early dinner time and make a conscious effort to refrain from snacking after dinner.
This list contains five suggestions that are easy lifestyle modifiers to support a healthy digestive system. Try to work them into your life and your families life to aid digestion. If you are having issues with your digestive system, you can book an appointment online with best gastroenterologists near you in Pakistan only on Shifa4U or call us at 042-111-748-748.