Acne is a skin disease that results in pimples, whiteheads, blackheads and nodules. It commonly occurs during puberty but can occur at any age. Common sites for acne are face, back, chest and shoulders.
• Fluctuating Hormone level is one of the main cause of acne. Rising androgen levels can cause the oil glands under the skin to grow and produces more sebum which promotes bacterial growth hence more acne.
• Use of oil-based makeup
• Irregular menstrual cycles
• Stress and anxiety
• Bad hygiene and unhealthy lifestyle
1. Gently wash your face twice daily with warm water and mild soap made especially for acne
2. Avoid touching your face frequently and do not touch if your hands are not clean
3. Don’t scrub the skin and avoid popping pimples as it would aggravate them and cause scarring and infection
4. Stay out of direct sunlight as it causes the skin to produce more sebum and use good quality sunscreen lotion if you need to go out in sun
5. Choose cosmetics recommended specifically for sensitive skin, avoid oil-based products and remove makeup before sleeping.
6. Avoid stress and anxiety as it increases production of cortisol and adrenaline, which in turn promotes acne.
7. Avoid using fragrances, oil and gels on your hair as they can block your skin ‘s pores and cause irritation
8. Stay hydrated, eat healthy diet and avoid junk food.