Vertigo is an impression of feeling shaky. On the off chance that you have these mixed up spells, you may feel like you are twirling or that your general surroundings is turning. A few patients utilize the term dizziness reciprocally with unsteadiness to portray an assortment of indications, going from offset problems and trouble with strolling to movement ailment or discombobulating. Healthcare professionals that includes the equilibrium communities of the inward ear and the brain.
The main problem of vertigo is inner ear complication. Some causes include are following;
· Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)
o Ear surgery
o Infection of ear
o Head injury
o Prolonged bed rest
· Meniere's disease
It is caused by fluid accumulation and changing of pressure in the ear. It results into ringing in the ear and loss of hearing.
It is inner ear problem that is result of infection around the ear nerves that help in body sense balance.
These sign and symptoms vary person to person and this may include:
· Problem with balancing
· Feeling of nausea and vomiting
· Condition of nystagmus in which eye move uncontrollably
· Feeling of ringing in the ear
· Motion of sickness
· Pulling to one direction
Treatment of vertigo relay on its cause. Sometimes it goes away without any treatment. This is on the grounds that your mind can adjust, in any event to some extent, to the internal ear changes, depending on different systems to look after adjust. Some medicines like proclorperazine and antihistamine may be helpful in early treatment of vertigo. Numerous individuals with dizziness likewise advantage from vestibular rehabilitation training (VRT), which is a progression of activities for individuals with unsteadiness and equilibrium issues
· Vestibular rehabilitation. This is a kind of physical therapy that strengthen the vestibular system. The capacity of the vestibular framework is to convey messages to the cerebrum about head and body developments comparative with gravity.
· Medicines: some medication are given to treat the nausea or motion sickness. Some other antibiotics are given to cure the infection or inflammation. Diuretics are prescribed to lessen the pressure from fluid buildup in Meniere's disease.
· Surgery: sometimes surgery may be recommended to treat the vertigo. If vertigo is caused by some head injury or neck so treatment of these injuries may be recommended first to treat the vertigo.
Is it necessary to take care of yourself to alleviate the vertigo?
It depends upon your cause of vertigo, there are the things that you can to relieve from symptoms of vertigo. Your general physician may advise you to:
· Do exercises to correct the symptoms
· lay down with your head marginally raised on at least two pillows
· Do not bend too much to pick up the items
· Do not extend your head to pick up the things from high shelf
· Slowly move your head during daily activities
· do practices that trigger your dizziness, so your mind becomes accustomed to it and lessens the side effects
Central vertigo is caused by problem in cerebellum and brainstem. There are different reasons of causing vertigo;
· Migraines: a throbbing pain in one side of brain or at the front side of brain. It is common in younger people.
· Acoustic neuroma: rare but non-cancerous brain tumor that grows on nerve that is involved in hearing and balancing
· Multiple sclerosis: in this condition central nervous system is affected
· Brain tumor: tumor present in cerebellum that is present at the bottom of brain
· Stroke: blood supply to brain is cut off.
· Using certain types of medication
Your doctor will recommend you test according to your signs and symptoms. First your doctor will ask your history. Then physical examination will done that include inner examination of your inner ear and uncontrollable movement of eye. Your doctor may refer you hearing test, caloric test, Videonystagmography or Posturography depending upon your symptoms.